4.5 Selection of Aggregate
Aggregate is the load bearing and wearing component of most sprayed seals. The functions of an aggregate are to:
- spread the wheel loads to the underlying pavement
- improve skid resistance of a road surface
- provide surface drainage during wet weather
- provide a durable abrasion resistant surface that will withstand traffic and weathering
- interlock and impart stability to the treatment
- bond to the bituminous binder.
To fulfil these functions aggregate must be derived from selected sources and have properties as described in AS 2758.2.