The Austroads Guide to Road Safety examines road crash costs and road agencies’ duty of care to provide safe travel.
The advantages and disadvantages of different ways of measuring road safety are discussed, and these methods are used to illustrate progress in road safety in Austroads’ member jurisdictions in recent years.
The Safe System approach as the guiding principle for road safety management is explained, along with the merits of an evidence-based approach to selected road safety countermeasures.
The Guide to Road Safety is published in nine parts:
- Part 1: Road Safety Overview
- Part 2: Road Safety Strategy and Evaluation
- Part 3: Speed Limits and Speed Management
- Part 4: Local Government and Community Road Safety
- Part 5: Road Safety for Rural and Remote Areas
- Part 6: Road Safety Audit
- Part 7: Road Network Crash Risk Assessment and Management
- Part 8: Treatment of Crash Locations
- Part 9: Roadside Hazard Management
Free access from 30 June 2018
From 30 June 2018, the PDFs of all Guides can be downloaded at no charge. Most hard copies have been discontinued. This is in preparation for our new website, due to be launched at the end of August, which will include online versions of the Guides.