Registration and licensing
- Publication no: AP-C107-19
- Published: 16 August 2019
This discussion paper seeks stakeholder views on:
- options for the adoption of Australian Standard’s Technical Specification for Motorised Mobility Devices; and
- considerations associated with a national registration and licensing system for Motorised Mobility Devices and their users as recommended by the Senate Standing Committee on Rural and Regional Affairs and Transport Inquiry into the Need for regulation of mobility scooters, also known as motorised wheelchairs.
The options presented in this paper are based on collated feedback from stakeholders who attended workshops in Brisbane in April 2019. Questions are provided throughout the paper to assist in responding to the paper.
Responses to this paper will be collated to inform the final project report, including recommendations, for Austroads consideration.
Comments must be submitted using the document review template (Word doc). Please submit your comments on the Word template and save your organisation name in the file name. Comments provided on any other format may not be considered. Please do not provide PDF versions of the comment template.
Please send your submissions by email to MMD_Consultation@tmr.qld.gov.au
Submissions will be accepted until 16 September 2019.
- 1. Purpose of the Discussion Paper
- 2. Context
- 2.1 Current regulation
- 2.2 Background
- 2.3 National Transport Commission project
- 2.4 Senate Inquiry Recommendations
- 3. Adoption of The Technical Specification For MMDS
- 3.1 What is the Technical Specification for MMDs?
- 3.2 Unladen mass limit
- 3.3 Intended safety benefits
- 3.4 Certification
- 4. Options for Adoption of The Technical Specification
- 4.1 Option 1 – Do nothing
- 4.2 Option 2 – Consumer driven adoption of the Technical Specification
- 4.3 Option 3 – Industry driven adoption of the Technical Specification
- 4.4 Option 4 – Regulatory prescription of the Technical Specification
- 4.5 Other regulatory considerations
- 5. Recommended Approach for Adoption of The Technical Specification
- 6. Registration and Licensing for MMDs
- 6.1 Summary of advantages identified by the Senate Inquiry submissions
- 6.2 Summary of disadvantages identified by the Senate Inquiry submissions
- 6.3 Registration of MMDs
- 6.4 Recommended approach for Registration of MMDs
- 6.5 Licensing of MMD users
- 6.6 Recommended approach for Licensing of MMDs
- 7. Guidance Questions for Response
- 8. Next Steps
- Appendix A Comparison of Australian Standard and Technical Specification Requirements