Traffic and transport management play a key role in the realisation of government and community outcomes of mobility and places. Under limited road and footway space, there are often competing priorities between transport modes and adjacent land uses. A Network Operation Plan (NOP) aims to guide public and private road network managers in the integrated operation and development of the road transport network and systems under their responsibility towards contributing to their goals, objectives and outcomes by setting out how these competing priorities are to be managed.
The SmartRoads tool was originally developed by VicRoads to assist in the application of network operation planning.
- provides an interactive planning environment to visualise road use priorities, operation gaps and impacts of treatments
- facilitates the consistent application of the network operation planning framework including jurisdiction-specific specifications and standards
- assesses road network operations improvement opportunities for general traffic, buses, freight vehicles and active transport
- creates tables, figures and reports to support recommended improvements to the network.
Accessing the tool
The SmartRoads tool can be downloaded and used for free. The tool requires a configuration file, which defines weightings, priorities, occupancy factors, etc. Currently there are two pre-defined configuration files available, one developed by VicRoads and another developed for NZTA. Users are free to define and design their own configuration file. Users can download either configuration file and modify the configuration file to suit. Editing the configuration file requires a password, please contact NOP support for the password.
Currently there are two versions available, version 6.2.6 and 7.1.3. Version 6.2.6 was developed by VicRoads. Subsequent to this version, ARRB developed version 7.1.3 to enhance the interface of version 6.2.6 with GIS tools. The purpose of version 7.1.3 was to facilitate the use of GIS tools to create/edit networks. Version 7.1.3 also allows users to export analysis outputs. The methodology and formulas in version 6.2.6 and version 7.1.3 are the same. Users of version 7.1.3 are suggested to review version 6.2.6 user manual to understand the method and formulas used.
SmartRoads version 6.2.6
SmartRoads version 7.1.3 (beta version)
- Download the tool with VicRoads configuration file | Zip 11Mb
- Download the tool with NZTA configuration file (note: the NZTA config file is a draft) | Zip 11Mb
- Download the supplementary user guide | PDf 1.6Mb
View a demonstration of version 7.1.3 here (note: the demonstration is on version 7.1.2; however, version 7.1.3 is the same as version 7.1.2 with minor modifications and the demonstration applies to version 7.1.3).
- Ability to generate network.csv files from shapefile
- Ability to export data and outputs in shapefile format
- Download the draft NZTA configuration file (for review/comment only) | Zip 210Kb
- Download the NZTA report on configuration for SmartRoads | PDF 585Kb
Feedback and support
Review the Help menu from within the tool.
For feedback and request for support, e-mail: email@example.com