- Publication no: COP-FEB19
- Published: 13 February 2019
- Edition: 1.1
Austroads has released Code of Practice for Temporary Traffic Management Part 7: Field Staff – Implementation and Operation, for industry consultation.
Austroads' Code of Practice for Temporary Traffic Management is being developed as part of the strategic priority project Safety at Road Worksites (Project BN2019). The intent of Austroads member authorities is establish the nationally preferred and harmonised approach for undertaking temporary traffic management for works on roads.
The CoPTTM will be an eleven-part series that steps traffic control professionals through all of the processes, procedures and technical information required to develop, write, implement and manage traffic management requirements for work sites.
Part 7: Field Staff – Implementation and Operation sets out the requirements of field staff in undertaking all tasks associated with the process of installing, monitoring and dismantling traffic management on public roads.
This Draft for Industry Consultation has been released following extensive input from a Working Group comprising all Austroads Member Authorities and a range of industry stakeholders. The documented processes are primarily based on best existing practices used by State and Territory Road authorities across Australia and represent a significant increase in the level of detail for field operations.
Following feedback from industry as part of this consultation phase, this guide is intended to be finalised and released as preferred national practice in the second half of 2019.
This new Code will, once completed, provide comprehensive national guidance for all practitioners operating in Temporary Traffic Management.
Comments should be included on the document review template provided in the supporting documents tab.
Please submit your comments on the Word template and include your organisation's name in file name. Comments provided on any other format may not be considered. Please do not provide PDF versions of the comment template
The industry comment period closes on Thursday 14 March 2019.
If you have any queries regarding this industry consultation, please email the Austroads Safety at Road Worksites Project Manager Dan Sullivan at email@example.com
A revised version of Code of Practice for Temporary Traffic Management Part 7: Field Staff – Implementation and Operation was published 6 March 2019. Edition 1.1 of the Guide corrects links in Appendices A, B and C.
- 1. Introduction
- 1.1 Purpose
- 1.2 Structure of CoPTTM
- 1.3 Structure of Part 7 of CoPTTM
- 1.4 Acronyms
- 2. Principles
- 2.1 Traffic Management Implementer
- 2.2 Principles for TTM
- 2.3 Road Categorisation
- 3. Roles and Responsibilities
- 3.1 Roles
- 3.2 Responsibilities
- 4. Pre-Shift Activities
- 4.1 Vehicle Checks
- 4.2 Job Pack Check
- 4.3 Equipment and Devices
- 4.4 Condition of Devices
- 4.4.1 Cleanliness
- 4.4.2 Colour of Fluorescent Signs
- 4.4.3 Night Time Visibility
- 5. Pre-start
- 5.1 Residual Risk Register
- 5.2 Job Safety Analysis (JSA)
- 5.3 Risk Management
- 5.3.1 Identify Hazards
- 5.3.2 Assess the Risk
- 5.3.3 Implement Controls
- 5.3.4 Monitor and Review
- 5.3.5 Site Safety Briefings (Toolbox)
- 6. TGS Installation
- 6.1 Introduction
- 6.2 Installation
- 6.3 Placement of Signs and Devices
- 6.4 Positioning of Signs and Devices
- 6.5 Orientation of Signs and Devices
- 6.6 Advanced Warning Signs
- 7. TGS Operations and Maintenance
- 7.1 General
- 7.2 Before Work Starts (Long Term)
- 7.3 During the Hours of Work
- 7.4 Aftercare (Worksite Arrangements Outside Working Hours)
- 7.5 Record Keeping
- 7.6 Incidents
- 7.7 TMI Monitoring
- 7.8 Monitor and Measure TTM
- 7.9 Excessive or Inappropriate use of Temporary Speed Limits
- 8. TGS Removal
- 8.1 Removal of Signs and Devices
- 9. Unattended Sites
- 9.1 Aftercare (Worksite Arrangements Outside Working Hours)
- 9.2 Activity at Night
- 9.3 Artificial Lighting
- Appendix A Sample Risk Assessment and Tool Box
- A.1 Example RA
- A.2 Sample Tool Box Talk
- Appendix B Daily Diary and Site Checklist Template
- B.1 Daily Diary
- B.2 Site Checklist
- Appendix C Sample JSA and Incident Form
- C.1 Sample JSA
- C.2 Example Incident/Accident Form