Appendix E 1.7 Study Network Definition
- All haul routes associated with the development will need to be assessed in accordance with Criterion 4 (in Chapter 3.2 of source document).
- To identify the spatial extent of investigation, information on existing traffic volumes and ESAs was obtained. In most cases, AADT and the percentage of commercial traffic will be available from the MR district office. Supplementary traffic counts may be required.
- For traffic operation, assessment is required where the development traffic exceeds the thresholds set by Criteria 3 and 4.
- This is the case for road section A (Criterion 4), road section B (Criterion 3), road section C (Criterion 4) and road section D (Criterion 4).
- Intersection X also requires assessment (Criteria 3 and 4).
- Assessment of pavement impacts is required where development traffic generates an increase in ESAs equal to or greater than 5% (Criterion 2).
- As shown in Figure E 2, the development will generate an increase in ESAs equal to or greater than 5% on road sections A, B and C. Road section A extends for the full distance of the haul route to the west.
Traffic generation – heavy commercial vehicles
Average demand 200 000 t/year (26.5 t/truck x 312 days/year)
Peak demand (twice the average extraction)
Traffic generation – all vehicles
Existing ESAs for each road section should be calculated, as shown below, by weighting the AADT in accordance with the proportion of existing commercial traffic.
ESA calculation (road section B)