- Publication no: AGTM12-16
- ISBN: 978-1-925451-35-1
- Published: 16 September 2016
- Edition: 2
Austroads Guide to Traffic Management Part 12: Traffic Impacts of Developments is concerned with identifying and managing the impacts on the road system arising from land use developments. It provides guidance for planners and engineers associated with the design, development and management of a variety of land use developments. The Guide aims to ensure consistency in the assessment and treatment of traffic impacts, including addressing the needs of all road users and the effect upon the broader community.
Part 12 presents the land use and transport planning context for traffic impact assessment, including travel demand, safety, parking and access management issues. It provides guidance on the need and criteria for impact assessments, and a detailed procedure for identifying and assessing the traffic impacts, and mitigating their effects. Assessment of safety, infrastructure and environmental effects is also covered. Examples are given of checklists, report structures, traffic generation rates and case study projects.
Editorial and technical changes in Edition 2.0 of the Guide include:
- updates throughout to include the Safe System approach
- where appropriate reordered sections and sub-sections to prioritise safety
- additional and updated sources of traffic generation rates were identified
- where appropriate additional comment on rural projects was included
- updated Section 2.1.5 to include logistics plans
- new Section 2.2.3 to introduce the notion of link-and-place
- updated Section 2.3.2 to include electric vehicles and parking
- updated Section 3.2.2 to note that general access vehicles may be up to 19 m long
- added Section 3.2.8 Light Rail and Bus Rapid Transit Systems
- added Section 3.2.9 Network Operating Frameworks and Plans
- Section 5 was reordered so that road safety assessment was prioritised
- Appendix B and Appendix C updated to the traffic impact assessment format from the Institute of Transportation Engineers
- Appendix D updated to traffic generation rates from Roads and Maritime Services.