- Publication no: AGTM06-13
- ISBN: 978-1-921991-90-5
- Published: 29 April 2013
- Edition: 2
Guide to Traffic Management Part 6: Intersections, Interchanges and Crossings is concerned with traffic management at all types of intersections where the various road users must join or cross another stream of traffic. It focuses on traffic management issues and treatments related to intersections, interchanges and crossings but does not provide dimensions or other details for the design of treatments.. Traffic management at intersections may be influenced by the approaches to them, and road sections between intersections. Guidance on traffic management on road sections is provided in the Austroads Guide to Traffic Management Part 5: Road Management.
Guide to Traffic Management Part 6 presents detailed information and guidelines relating to the factors that need to be considered in the selection of an appropriate type of intersection and in the functional design of intersections. It describes the appropriate use and design of the various intersection types and traffic management techniques that are applied to meet traffic management objectives, and provide efficient and safe intersections. Part 6 considers the needs of all road users including pedestrians, cyclists, motorcyclists, heavy vehicles and public transport.
Key updates in the 2013 edition include:
- Realignment of material related to traffic signals, primarily with information discussed in the Guide to Traffic Management Part 9: Traffic Operations
- Addition of material on types of intersections, relocated from the Guide to Road Design Part 4A: Unsignalised and Signalised Intersections
- Consideration of other types of intersections such as signalised roundabouts and unconventional intersection design
- Additional considerations for topics such as intersections near rail level crossings and pedestrian crossings at signalised facilities