- Publication no: AP-57-98
- ISBN: 0-85588-504-1
- Published: 1 January 1998
The two-volumes of Cities for Tomorrowprovide detailed guidance and resource material to assist practitioners in the integration of planning for land use, transport and the environment.
More than 85 percent of the Australian population resides in its cities and towns. In Australian cities the reality is that vehicles dominate, public transport remains a poor cousin, pedestrians figure in only a few high-density areas and cyclists need to be hardy and brave. The people who live in our cities face increasing congestion, frustration, pollutants and accidents.
Cities for Tomorrowprovides plans, ideas and tools to tackle the problems and issues affecting our cities and in turn, the societies that live in them.
Cities for Tomorrow: Better Practice Guidebrings together ideas and applications of practical value to practitioners who are searching for better ways of managing cities and towns.
The Guide comprises four parts:
- Part A introduces the Guide and provides an overview of the subsequent Parts B and C.
- Part B leads the reader through a sequence of the seven steps recommended to establish a corporate or ‘whole of government’ approach to issues and problems. It also shows how these steps can be used in regional, local and corridor contexts.
- Part C provides details of tools which can be used in practice and applied in regional, local, corridor and multiple planning contexts.
- Part D covers planning processes and community involvement.
Planning practitioners of all types and at all levels will find this Guide a valuable tool to planning the future of our cities in an integrated manner.
AP-58-98 Cities for Tomorrow: Resource Documentaccompanies the Guide and presents an overview of the literature, relevant research, significant interactions, planning principles and planning approaches elsewhere. It contains an index and list of references for the material presented in both the Guide and the Resource Document.
The two volumes are presented as separate reports and as a linked pdf resource.
- AP-57/98 CITIES FOR TOMORROW - INTEGRATING LAND USE, TRANSPORT AND THE ENVIRONMENT
- Glossary of terms
- Part A - Overview
- Part B - Preparing for greater integration
- Part C - Tools
- Part D - Processes