- Publication no: ABC-DES101-14
- Published: 22 October 2014
The Regional Rail Link (RRL) project is Victorias largest rail infrastructure project providing 47.5 km of new dual railway tracks for dedicated V/Line regional rail services between Southern Cross Station and West Werribee Junction via Sunshine thus segregating regional from metropolitan rail services.
RRL Work Package E covers the section from Deer Park to West Werribee Junction, providing 25 km of new dual railway tracks featuring two new railway stations and 27 new bridges. There were 12 road over rail bridges, one road underbridge, four rail underbridges, three road over minor waterway bridges and seven rail over minor waterway bridges.
Key areas of success included:
- Working in close collaboration with the contractor and an understanding of stakeholders requirements at the detailed design phase.
- The road overbridges have been future proofed for future RRL and Metro tracks duplication and future road widening.
- A slender bridge structural form was achieved along Wyndham Vale Cut to minimise rock cutting.
- Anti-throw screens were incorporated on road overbridges to ensure the safety of the train drivers and commuters.
RThis paper presents the project background, the various bridge structural forms and key issues associated with the bridge design and construction.