5.2.5 US Federal Highway Administration (FHWA)
The FHWA is an agency within the US Department of Transportation. It supports State and local governments in the design, construction, and maintenance of the Nation’s highway system (Federal Aid Highway Program) and various federally and tribal-owned lands (Federal Lands Highway Program).
Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) (2012) describes asset management as addressing the following five core questions:
- What are the required levels of service and performance delivery?
- Which assets are critical to sustained performance delivery?
- What is the current state of the assets?
- What are the best investment strategies for operations, maintenance, renewals, improvements and new assets?
- What is the best long-term funding strategy?
Further details are available at: http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/asset/index.cfm.