4.4.3 What is the role of the health professional?
While the driver licensing authority makes the final decision about whether a driver is eligible for a conditional licence, the health professional provides information to assist the authority in its decision making. The health professional should advise the driver licensing authority of:
- which medical requirements (for an unconditional licence) have not been met
- the likely adequacy of treatments or vehicle modifications in optimising driver capacity
- the plan to monitor the driver’s performance and the medical condition, including timeframes for review
- if appropriate, information relating to possible licence conditions, for example, vehicle type or licence restrictions such as no night driving, radius restriction or downgrade to a lower class of licence
- any other medical information that may be relevant to the driving task.
This information is needed so the driver licensing authority can make an informed decision and determine what conditions will be endorsed on the licence.