Table of Contents

2.2.1 Non-driving periods

A number of cardiovascular incidents and procedures affect short-term driving capacity as well as long-term licensing status, for example, acute myocardial infarction and cardiac surgery. Such situations present an obvious driving risk that cannot be addressed by the licensing process in the short term. The person should be advised not to drive for the appropriate period, as shown in Table 5. The variation in non-driving periods reflects the varying effects of these conditions and is based on expert opinion. These non-driving periods are minimum advisory periods only and are not enforceable by the licensing process. The recommendations regarding long-term licence status (including conditional licences) should be considered once the condition has stabilised and driving capacity can be assessed as per the licensing standards outlined in this chapter.

Table 5: Suggested non-driving periods post cardiovascular events or procedures

Event/procedureMinimum non-driving period (advisory)
Private vehicle driversCommercial vehicle drivers
Ischaemic heart disease
Acute myocardial infarction2 weeks4 weeks
Percutaneous coronary intervention, for example, for angioplasty2 days4 weeks
Coronary artery bypass grafts4 weeks3 months
Disorders of rate, rhythm and conduction
Cardiac arrest6 months6 months
Implantable cardioverter defibrillator (ICD) insertion6 months after cardiac arrestNot applicable*
Generator change of an ICD2 weeksNot applicable*
ICD therapy associated with symptoms of haemodynamic compromise4 weeksNot applicable*
Cardiac pacemaker insertion2 weeks4 weeks
Vascular disease
Aneurysm repair4 weeks3 months
Valvular replacement (including treatment with mitra clips and transcutaneous aortic valve replacement)4 weeks3 months
Deep vein thrombosis2 weeks2 weeks
Heart/lung transplant6 weeks3 months
Ventricular assist device (VAD)3 monthsNot applicable
Pulmonary embolism6 weeks6 weeks
Syncope (due to cardiovascular causes)4 weeks3 months

*Persons with ICD are not eligible to hold a commercial vehicle licence.